Tuesday, January 8, 2008

God Speed to a Dear Friend....

One of my best friends was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer just a couple weeks ago. We had gone to dinner the night before she got the call to celebrate Christmas together with just us and our kiddos. She is in her Early 30's, a nurse and healthy as a goat (are goat's healthy?)

Anyhoo,
She is in surgery as I am writing this post. It is either stage 2 or stage 3. They won't know if it spread until they get in there. It's a 3 to 4 hour surgery. She called me first thing this morning while getting to the hospital. She is scared, nervous and everything else that goes along with the word "cancer". It was so odd because just a few months ago we know a mutual person that was diagnosed with the same thing. And don't things happen in 3's? Scary.

I know she will be okay. She just has to be. God Speed April.

I have always had the re-occurring thought of myself getting breast cancer. They say the statistics are 1 out of 5 woman get it. I am obsessed with giving myself self breast exams (no pun attended) and will have a mammogram done this year since I am turning 35.

Please say a little prayer, light a candle or whatever you do to wish "Get Well" to my dear friend. Thanks.

12 comments:

Jay said...

Sending good vibes her way.

Also remember not to ever get down or have negative thoughts around her. You gotta keep her spirits up and keep hope alive for her while she's going through all the treatment.

DocMtCat said...

Sending good vibes as well... The good thing is that treatments have come so far and surguries have become so advanced that the prognosis on these things is so much better than it was just a few years ago. I hope that she comes through well.

-Doc

kara said...

ugh. that is some scary shit. good thoughts

Jahooni said...

The cancer had spread to her lymp nodes. The surgery lasted over 5 hours. It was in stage 4 or 5. I have been getting text messages from her husband all day. She was in recovery for over 2 hours before he could even see her. That is all I know at this point. I will keep you posted... thanks for the kind words.

Logzie said...

I am SO very sorry for your friend! Keep us posted.

Um Naief said...

i feel for her and send only positive thoughts her way. may this cancer be healed and she get better very soon.

cancer terrifies me like you. i'm so afraid of breast cancer... makes me wonder why women tend to get it more often... or maybe it just seems like that.

stay postive...

Rock Chef said...

You have my hopes and prayers.

As Jay said, attitude plays a huge part here!

Anonymous said...

I promise you she'll be fine. Thyroid cx is easily cured.

Doc said...

Checking in for an update....

Jahooni said...

She is home now. They left 2 lymp nodes.... she will have to do radiation and all sorts of other stuff. So far everything is okay!

Thanks everyone...

Nice picture Doc.

Doc said...

Since I have no other way to contact you (e-mail) I need to get you a message to go back and read the comments section of my randoms for today. Someone is calling you out.

-Doc

(thanks for the picture comment ;-)

Anonymous said...

Just stay positive. My husband has this cancer and is in stage 5.He took the radiation and medication and told us he would be fine Well it is back. I keep him staying positive and I never cry in front of him. I have not asked the doctor how much time he has because I do not to know. He is a vice president of a large bank. He still goes into the office and stays as long as he can. He told me that when he get tired it's like the light switch turned off. I tell him to go to bed and rest and I don't ever want him to get down. I always stay positive for him and me.

I am sending good vibes her way. Keep her laughing even if she feels like shit. If she dosen't laugh she will at least smile. My prayers are with you