Wednesday, October 24, 2007

My beloved California....




Hello everyone... Sorry that it's been some time since I blogged.
When I returned home from my business trip to Las Vegas, this is what I came home to!
The fires started on Sunday here and there. It has been soooooooooooo dry here in California and we haven't seen rain in I don't know how long. Then, came the winds. 120 mph winds at some points. The area in which I live gets the winds really bad and I knew the worst was yet to come.
Mother Nature started some of the fires but not all, some were caused by arson. How sick are people??? It makes me want to SCREAM!
I love California. It's not the cheapest place to live but the state is beautiful. Most of the fires (16 total) are in such gorgeous areas. If you have driven down the coast (Malibu area) or all the way to San Diego on HWY 15, then you know what a devastation it is to have it all burnt to ashes. My favorite place that is still on fire after 4 days is Lake Arrowhead. We go there to camp and I take my family up the mountain when they are here to visit. I guess it will be a long time before I return...
Thousands of acres have burned, people have died, animals have been left to burn, thousands of homes destroyed, families lives have been shattered. It breaks my heart and it has taken a toll on everyone that lives here in the state. I don't know what they show you in other states on the news or in the papers BUT I can tell you that it is TERRIBLE!
My home looks out over the San Bernardino mountains. Yesterday the back side of those mountains were on fire. Over 200 homes burned overnight. We couldn't even go outside from the polluted air. I now know what 911 felt like.... you are covered with ashes on your clothes and you gag from the smoke. During the day there is a black haze all over that makes it feel eerie. The oranges in the sky at night are like something out of a painting.
Please pray that we get National assistance. Please pray that the winds stop. Please pray that the "homeless" can move forward and start over.

12 comments:

Um Naief said...

i don't know what to say other than i saw this on the news and the news doensn't give a good picture. your pics here are much better.

cant imagine how it smells outside, and the sky... that beautiful sky.

it makes me want to scream that ppl set fires like that too.

Gorilla Bananas said...

I'm sure you'll get National Assistance after the debacle of Hurricane Katrina. Best wishes, I hope you'll get through this without much more sorrow.

EJL said...

I have family out there. My aunt has a home in the San Diego hills and she said 3 days ago...no worries the fires are like 30 miles from us. But that apparently can spread fast.

Another Aunt Lives in Orange County on the Beach and my cousin lives in LA.

My Aunt said it was raining soot and it was hard to breath.
I hope your home fairs well

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you all.

Olivia said...

Oh my gosh, it's not been declared a national emergency yet? Is the National Guard in? I heard it was the largest evacuation in California history...!

Kiki said...

All our prayers are with you all. Please keep us updated on your safety.

Logzie said...

I am SO glad to hear that you are OK!!

Thank you so much for the "rest of the story"...I don't watch the news much so it was good to hear this straight from someone there.

You will be in my prayers! Keep us posted.

Rock Chef said...

I have seen some pretty awful stuff on the TV news. I can't imagine how this keeps happening in a place like the USA.

Hugs and prayers to you all.

And I guess you didn't win a load in Vegas ;-)

Jahooni said...

Rock Chef,

I lost my butt in Vegas. I will never go there alone again... when you are bored you gamble on those penny slots way to LONG!

I lost BIG TIME!

Thanks to you all for the kind words. We found out that the biggest fire was set by an arson! $140,000 award. I am on the prowl!

Rock Chef said...

Just don't take the reward money to Vegas!

kara said...

How strange is it that all you want in California is for it to rain...and all we want in Oregon is for it to stop.

Mr Farty said...

Holy crap, that is bad. Really bad. We always complain about the rainy weather in Scotland, even though there have only been four rainy days since August.

And there was something on the news about FEMA having it all under control, nothing to worry about. Nice try, Fixed Everything My Ass.

Hope things start to return to normal soon.

(Hugs)